Look up before you lift: Take the right steps to safety
Home projects often require a ladder. Before you make the climb, we urge you to take these steps to stay safe:
- Always look up and look out for overhead power lines or equipment.
- Keep yourself and ladders far away, at least 10 feet in all directions, at all times, from power lines, including service lines.
- Carry ladders horizontally.
- Make sure the area above the ladder is clear before placing it upright.
- Long ladders may be unwieldy, so ask for help in carrying and setting them up.
- Always make sure the ladder is on a solid, level surface before attempting to climb.
- Inspect the ladder before and after use to make sure there is no damage that could put users in danger.
Always remember, it is never safe to touch a power line. Any coating on the lines is for weather protection, not protection from electricity.
Always take time to look up, look out and live!